Students Rise to the Challenge in Academic Competition
Students from 16 high schools convened at The Education Network studios in Boynton Beach for the 2020 Palm Beach County Academic Challenge Finals on February 12. The event was sponsored by Palm Beach State College (PBSC), and moderated by Dr. Glenda Sheffield, the School District’s Chief Academic Officer.
Dr. Roger Yohe, Vice President of Academic Affairs at PBSC, was on hand to award scholarships to each student from the six schools that competed in the finals. Additionally, six students earned a coveted spot on the All-Star Team and will represent Palm Beach County at the 2020 Florida Department of Education Commissioner’s Academic Challenge at Walt Disney World, from April 16-18.
The results of the tournament were as follows:
• First Place: Suncoast Community High School – Cartier Scott, Coach.
• Second Place: Spanish River Community High School – Paulette Riedel, Coach.
• Third Place: Boca Raton Community High School – Giuseppa Consentino, Coach.
• Fourth Place: A.W. Dreyfoos School of the Arts – Marilynn Pedek Howard, Coach.
• Fifth Place: William T. Dwyer High School – Frank Rozanski, Coach.
• Sixth Place: West Boca Raton Community High School – Stacy Jacobwitz, Coach.
• Catherine Avillo – Spanish River Community High School
• Thomas Cherry – Suncoast Community High School
• Zachary Granat – William T. Dwyer High School
• Subhash Kantamneni – Suncoast Community High School
• Sydney Levy – Boca Raton Community High School
• Hayden Siesel – Spanish River Community High School
Thanks to the generosity of Palm Beach State College, the following scholarships were awarded:
• First Place School Team and All-Stars: Presidential Honors, $2,000 per term – funds cover in-state tuition, registration fees, books, and educational expenses.
• Second and Third Place School Teams: Green & Gold, $1,000 per term – funds cover in-state tuition, registration fees, books, and educational expenses.
• Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Place School Teams: flat rate of $250 per term.